This has been an absolutely amazing reading year for me, so when “Charles Baker Harris” blogged her picks for The Smashing and Dashing 2019 Character Awards (founded by Cait @Paper Fury), I thought it looked like fun. 😀
If you’d like to do it as well, here are some lovely rules for you to follow…
- Answer the 15 questions below, using characters from books you read in 2019 (They don’t have to be new releases this year, just new to you.)
- Link back to Cait’s original post
1. Most Relatable Character: Annie from Annie’s Life in Lists. I don’t think I’ve ever met another fictional character I related to so much. She was quiet, observant with an awkwardly good memory, and hated gym. Also, the entire style and format of that book is just the best. 😀
2. Most Pure Animal Companion: Daisy from Auggie & Me. Since this book is a collection of short stories, she wasn’t in it a ton, but Auggie’s dog “Darth Daisy” is kinda the sweetest ever. ❤
3. Fiercest Fighter: Poe from The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe. Poe is definitely a scrappy survivor. She’d fit in pretty well with Star Wars, though they already have a character with that name. 😛
4. Am Surprised That I Loved You??: Russell from The Meddlin’ Madeline series. I’d already read one of the books before, but with each one I read this year, he stole my heart a little bit more. He’s strong in what he believes yet gentle, flawed yet pursuing a relationship with Christ, and he’s generally just a bit Knightley-ish, so… 😉
5. Best Sassmaster: Blaze from Twinepathy. How could I not choose him?! XD
Exhibit A: I frown. “Can you please explain this?” He flashes us a grin. “That would ruin the suspense.” He disappears.
Exhibit B: “If you guys hold hands, it would make things both more awkward and easier for me.”
Exhibit C: “Now to business, as soon as Blaze gets back.” “He’s back,” Blaze announces.
6. Best Antihero: So, I apparently don’t read stories with this type of character much, so it was pretty hard to find one. I guess I’d go with “Brother” from Dear Sister. He’s quite the scamp, but in the end I grew to love him. ❤
7. The Best Friends Of All: Mathilde and Megs from the Beautiful Blue World duology. They are so close, nearly sisters, and I loved the loyalty they have toward each other. (And these books were a buddy read with a best friend of mine, so… 😀 )
8. Best Villain To HATE: Mr. Curtain from The Mysterious Benedict Society series. He is sooo, sooo evil and smart too, and it’s even worse because his family loves him so much and wants him to be redeemed but also need to stop him. Also, he just USES people. Ugh.
9. Award For Best vs Worst YA Parents:
- worst–Hadley’s parents from In 27 Days. They weren’t particularly evil or anything, they just weren’t there.
- best–Mathilde’s parents from Beautiful Blue World and Threads of Blue. Oh, my word, they break my heart with their lovingness! ❤
10. Ship Of All Ships In 2019: Bwhahhaha. I narrowed it down to two unrequited OTPs. If my ship sailed within the book, I’m not counting it here. 😉
- Russell and Madeline from the Meddlin’ Madeline series. They are such great friends, and I can see their hearts tending that way but there are some heartbreaks and roadblocks in their way and some growing up to do, and AHHHH.
- Brent and Emily from The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott series. Their banter is the most adorable thing ever, plus they’re pretty loyal and protective of each other. ❤
11. Most Precious Must Be Protected: Reynie from The Mysterious Benedict series. He’s so wholehearted, y’all. He wants to do the right thing and protect those he loves and he takes on too much responsibility and worries too much and he’s just the sweetest, okay?
And Emerson from the Shallows trilogy is a close tie. *cries in fangirl*
12. Honestly Surprised You’re Still Alive: Brent from The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott series. BWhahahha! I’ve been keeping a running count of how many cars he’s crashed in the first series alone… Seriously, he’s a crazy spy. XD
13. Award For Making The Worst Decisions: Poe from The Last Voyage of Poe Blythe. That girl seriously gets into the worst situations.
14. Most In Need Of A Nap: (see above) But also, Arthur Dent from The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy (filtered). All he wants is a cup of tea…
15. Want To Read More About You: Andi from the Firmament series. I really enjoyed reading books 3 and 4 last week, and fortunately for me there are two more published. 😀 I’m also looking forward to another Meddlin’ Madeline book and season two of The Accidental Cases of Emily Abbott.
There you go! It was hard to narrow some categories down, but I loved revisiting my reads from this year. 😀 Feel free to pick up the tag if you like, just be sure to link back to Cait’s original post.
Who were your favorite characters this year?