I watched the movie adaptation of The Book Thief earlier this year and fell in love with it. (Because it’s about words!) ;D
Then I got to immerse myself in a filtered copy of the book these past two months, and I fell even harder in love with it. *big grin*
If you asked me which one I would recommend, I might stare at you with my mouth hanging open and gibber. My brain would steam. And then I would whimper and say, “Both?”
Reasons why the book is better:
- Longer all around. More happiness, more sorrow, more Himmel Street, more Max, more depth.
- Reeeaaaallly good quotes.
- Backstory (because it’s longer).
- Max’s books.
Reasons why the movie is better:
- You actually get to “see” the characters. (And they did a superb job of casting!)
- It’s easier to edit especially if you watch it on a filter here.
- Reeeaaaallly good quotes. They differ from the book, but I wouldn’t trade either. 😉
- The story stays on Himmel Street, so it’s less violent but still a movie for highschool age viewers.
Like I said before, it’s too hard to decide. I love them both. 😉
Do you usually prefer original books or their movie adaptations?